Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Needing Advice on Comfort item for Aj

So Aj has never really been any trouble when it comes to going to other people but ever since he turned nine months he has been having some major separation anxiety. we never really get babysitters since it is just as easy to cart him around with us and i do spend all day with him but it has never really been a problem when we do get a sitter. well last sat we decided to go on a much needed date of just the two of us so we left him with his fav sitter Jamee (who is practically family and he has always loved being with her) well he cried the whole time i felt so bad. 
i think the biggest issue right now is that he doesn't have anything that comforts him other than me. he doesnt take any kind of pasifier or doesnt really have a toy or blanket that he is attached to. he does have these two glow worms in his crib (ones a sea horse) and he loves them. but everytime i try to give it to him outside of his crib he thinks i'm trying to put him down for a nap and just starts crying. i talked to the dr today and said basically i just have to ween him off slowly starting with making sure he goes to sleep without me (which he does) then passing him to others and leaving the room for escalading periods of time and he said most likely he'll grow out of it. i just know it would be so much easier if he had some kind of comfort thing. i'm worried that he'll never get one so i dont know if i should start trying to give him one or just let him find one on his own. any advice on the subject would be great

6 comments:

Cheney's said...

I would try and give him one. It really does help so much, and some kids would never get one unless you give them one. I know that Sarah Nelson had that "problem" with Parker with not having any sort of comfort thing so I'll give you the same advise that I gave her to you....give him a toy or blanket every day. Eventually Parker got attatched to the blanket that Sarah gave him everyday. It takes a little while, but it ended up working. That's how I got Audree attatched to her blankets, now that we're getting rid of her passy it's nice to have the blankets around. It really helps us be sane. :) Oh and bring AJ by anytime okay. I'm sure we'll have fun!!!

Rachel said...

Cooper wasn't very attached to his blanket either until later on....But it was something that he went to bed with every night so that's how he got attached I guess. He'll get used to other people soon. Hang in there!

Hancock Family said...

I wish I had some advice for you. Sadie kind of went through a time when she had to be with me, I couldn't even leave the room. Oh and she had to sleep with me. It was that bad. One day I just put her in her crib to sleep, I would leave, but as soon as she started to fuss I would come back and show her that I was always there to get her. Now she has no problem with me leaving. Well that and she has grandma. Wish I could help, but I am only 1 day ahead of you.

Heather and Josh Wickern said...

Sam, when Scott went through this phase, we decided to give him a few different things and see which one worked, if any. As you may know, he ended up with Tuxedo, a bear I've had since I was a Sophomore in HS. It helped him realize he wasn't alone in his bed and he's completely given him up now. I don't know if that helps. I'd just suggest offering a few different things. If you go to the store and he sees something that he seems to really like, try it!

Aly Porter said...

Everyone has great advice :) As you already know Kyrah has a puppy that she loves :) Like everyone has been saying, just keep trying one thing and then another. You'll find something! Oh, and do you think you could give me the link for the diaper discount thing we were talking about? That would be awesome! See you tomorrow! :)

Sahara said...

I don't think you can make him have a comfort item, some kids just don't have one. But I think like others said you can give him options, not just glow worms-I know you have your's somewhere! But I know Charlie went thru a couple of stages of stranger anxiety you just got to let them get over it on there own time.

Did you ever get your free crackers the other week?